Leadership Greece 2014

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Since I have been in Greece for this trip I have been (trying to) learn some Greek words. Unlike the Albanians - picking up languages is not a strength of mine. But from only spending a day with the Albanians I have already learned some words that are fun to say and have made an impact on me. Here are some pictures and words to show you my first day with the Albanians in Greece.


This is the entrance to the Greek National Gardens and a flower, in Greek λουλούδι which is said louloudi. Kosmas, an Albanian friend, gave it to me. Sidenote, me being a tour guide at Baylor and him being a tourism major made for an automatic friendship. The national garden was my favorite sight of the day, not only beautiful, but it gave me a piece of home [Shreveport, LA] with the tall pines trees and small ponds. Flowers made today prettier.



In my one on one time with my partner Katerina she told me her moms name is ευτυχία, (pronounced eftihear) and means happiness in Greek. And she said her and her mom are best friends. My mom and I also have a very close relationship, my mom taught me to be joyful in every situation, to love people and to always be happy. Also, not being home much when I get to see my mom, it fills me with happiness. Hearing this similarity from the start of our conversations confirmed that God has a plan for me a Katerina's friendship. Happiness made this day incredible.



Lastly I learned the word φιλε which is said filly, it means friend. And these friends are amazing. The Albanians have taught me to be selfless, more focused on God's plan for the now and how to become a part of a community. The Baylor students I have gotten to know have also impacted me with their friendships and love. Lastly, Katerina is so kind and already such a friend to me. Friends made today unforgettable.

ευχαριστώ, efaristo is Greek for thank you. Thank you is the word I use the most with the Greeks here that don't speak English. I thank them for helping me pick out the coffee I would like, though they don't know what I am saying. I say thank you for directions and for bottles of water that save my life. Mostly I thank the Albanians for impacting me already in so little time.

This journey is going to be incredible, I know I will grow and learn more than I imagined. Here's to just one day with lifelong friends.

Faithh Miletello

No comments:

Post a Comment